Immigrants from Russia and Germany erected this church and laid out the adjoining cemetery in an area 12 miles north of Delia. All the labour involved was volunteered, even the pews were hand-carved. This place of worship in a strange land served to bind the community into closer friendships with each other and God.The services were held in their native tongue until the 1950’s when the services began to switch over to English. The church struggled through the early days and the Depression but in the 1960s its doors had closed for good. It wasn’t until 1969 when the church was moved to Museum grounds, serving as a fitting reminder of the past. The bell and front porch were added by the Historical Society.
No account of this area would be complete without the inclusion of the railway story. The C.N.R. was the reason for the town being at this particular spot and even gave us the name Hanna; Donald Blythe Hanna had been president of the C.N.R. railway at one time. At one point in time, it housed a family called the Hammond’s which consisted of two parents and six daughters: Eva, Nellie, Francis, Edith, Dorthy, and Fanny. This very prominent Museum building was moved to Hanna from Pollockville (50 miles south of Hanna) in 1968 after being purchased for the price of $1. In 1969 tracks were laid down in front of the situation. The building was completely repaired and filled with railway memorabilia. Since that time, more items have been added including a caboose!
This was Hanna’s first permanent hospital (usually referred to as the Cottage Hospital), and it served the town for four years. It was built by Mr. L. de Jurkowski at a cost of $5000 and stood between 3rd and 4th avenues, facing east. It opened its doors on June 1st, 1918 with a staff of two: Miss Keith and Miss Kate.This building could house 6-8 patients at one time, however, at one point in its history it held 31 patients at the same time due to the Spanish Influenza that was sweeping its way across the prairie. This building has been purchased and changed several times, but its resting place is the Museum grounds. Although the interior bears little resemblance to the original layout, the exterior is much the same. It has been fashioned to resemble what it would have looked like back then; complete with hospital beds, wheelchairs, and even a surgery table.
Always an eye-catcher to visitors! This jail cell was originally located in Youngstown (35 miles east of Hanna) in their fire hall and ceased being used in 1961. Every artifact here has a story behind it, and this one is no exception. Read more
The General Store was opened in 1913 at Michichi, roughly 30 miles west of Hanna, by a C.N.R surveyor by the name G.W.M Boycott. This store served the town and surrounding area for 52 consecutive years. In 1915 it was sold to Dr. Johnson and his wife, Pauline. When Dr. Johnson died in 1918 his wife and her brother Walter Murdock took over the store under the name of Johnston & Co. General Merchants. It remained in the same hands until 1965 when it was shut down. In 1973 the building was moved to the Museum grounds. The store has been fashioned to resemble its glory days. Almost every shelf is filled with items that would have been common back then. Some artifacts have some pretty interesting stories behind them as well!
The ranch house was built by Roy Herold on his homestead north of Stanmore (20 miles east of Hanna) and served as the family home for several generations. In 1968 it was donated to the Historical Society by Mr. Shields and moved to Museum grounds. There were some minor repairs and additions, like the porch, done to the building. The house has four rooms: a living room, kitchen/dining room, children’s bedroom and a parent’s bedroom that has been furnished with artifacts typical of the homestead era. Each artifact has its own story behind it, so stop by to learn more about it!
The telephone office ran from 1929-1960 in the community of Hanna. It stood on 2nd Avenue, west of the Royal Bank corner and served as the telephone office until after 1960 when was used by the Health Unit for a number of years. Read more